08 April 2016

A change at Tolton's grave

In his Narn I Hîn Húrin, the great J.R.R. Tolkien put these words into the mouth Húrin, "But one who looks forward must see this: that things will not remain as they were." Anyone who has paid even a little attention to life knows the truth of these words.

Earlier today, a friend shared with a few photographs she had taken during a pilgrimage to the grave of the Servant of God Father Augustus Tolton. Though I was delighted she was able to make the pilgrimage, one of photos saddened me:

PHOTO: Nancy Hood
What saddened me is what appears to be the removal of overgrowth - and possibly a few saplings - between the cemetery and the buildings just to the east of it, as can be seen in this photograph I took a couple of years ago:


The difference can be seen even more clearly in this photograph taken 21 October 2012:


I suppose this is what is meant by progress, but is it really progress if the ugliness of modern construction is no longer hidden, if oases of peace are altered

No comments:

Post a Comment