01 December 2014

129 years later, Dr Pepper still Good For Life


I regret that I only now - at 5:20 p.m. Rome time - learned that today is a great day in the history of the world and of beverages, in particular. What makes today so special? The U.S. Patents Office recognizes this day in the year 1885 as the day Dr Pepper was first served in Waco, Texas. How this fact has heretofore escaped my knowledge is quite beyond me.

The "King of Beverages" (the motto used from 1889-1914) and the world's first soft drink, with its classic 23 flavors, was introduced to the greater United States at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis, Missouri and, thus, a great multitude of people were made happy. From baked beans to pork to chocolate cake, Dr Pepper just makes life better.

Those who meet me quickly learn that Dr Pepper has long been my beverage of choice - even now in the Eternal City where it is not always easy to come by - and my good friends always have one handy in case I should stop by unannounced. To put it simply: I am proud to be a Pepper. Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper, too?

As the days of winter will soon be upon us, don't forget that there is more than one way to drink Dr Pepper:


And now, a classic video:


Happy Dr Pepper Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment